“As long as they’re on the ball and getting things done before deadlines they’ll be able to study abroad and be successful at it, too.” — Jonathan Mennecke
Jonathan Mennecke is currently studying abroad at Massey University in Auckland, New Zealand. He goes to Iowa State University and was a pre-med student at the time of the interview.
If you’ve listened to any other episodes you know by now that something going wrong on your trip is a right of passage, and it happens to everyone. Jonathan is no exception and tells us about a time where “everything that could’ve gone wrong, did” on a trip to Queenstown.
Aside from that, the his time in Auckland and the rest of New Zealand sounds amazing.
Scholarships are big theme that I like to focus on in the interviews and Jonathan was fortunate enough to get most of his trip paid for, and he shares exactly how he did it in the interview.
Jonathan was also kind enough to send me some pictures he took while in New Zealand.
- Why Jonathan chose New Zealand [2:09]
- Finding funding in different areas and even getting housing paid for [4:05]
- Jonathan’s living situation in Auckland [5:13]
- Attending classes in Auckland [5:29]
- Learning about the history and culture of New Zealand [7:04]
- Spending a week in Queenstown [9:34]
- Coffee, dark chocolate, and other New Zealand foods and methods [13:27]
- New Zealand website recommendation [16:33]
- Jonathan’s advice to students thinking about studying abroad [17:03]