“When you’re in groups of people traveling you’re constantly worrying about those people” — Tiera Salitros
Tiera Salitros is a design major who is studying abroad in Rome right now through a special program at Iowa State. It’s special because she is technically still going to school at Iowa State this semester even though she is living in Italy.
I recommend listening to this interview if you think studying abroad can be a springboard to do even more travel for a semester. Tiera does a great job of explaining different ways to save during the week in order to explore on the weekends.
We also talk about how studying abroad can serve as a trial run for living in a big city and the benefits of going on a solo trip.
Other than that, all the usuals are in this interview…living arrangements, classes and class structure, and as always an epic travel story.
- Finding her way into study abroad [1:50]
- All Iowa State: Tiera talks about her unique study abroad experience [2:50]
- Her attitude prior to leaving for Rome [5:58]
- How living in Rome has changed Tiera’s view of the world [7:19]
- Living arrangements and living in Rome (or any big city) [8:12]
- Exploring the rest of Europe [11:28]
- Tiera’s advice for someone who is thinking about studying abroad [12:26]
- Tiera’s study abroad tip to allow you to travel more [13:11]
- Tiera’s exciting solo trip [15:01]
- The benefits of being alone while traveling [18:45]
- Becoming a resilient traveler [20:08]
- Flixbus and Train Italia [22:15]
- Let My People Go Surfing [23:10]
If you want to learn more about Tiera just click on her linked name at the beginning of the article to checkout her blog.
8 Biggest Benefits of Studying Abroad [Infographic]